Dr. Jason Busse is an Associate Professor in the Departments of Anesthesia and Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, McMaster University. He is the co-Principle Investigator for the TRUST trial, one of the world’s largest orthopedic randomized controlled trials.
Dr. Busse completed an MSc in Medical and Molecular Genetics at the University of Toronto, a Doctorate in Chiropractic at CMCC, training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at McMaster University, and a PhD in Health Research Methodology at McMaster University.
Dr. Busse has been active clinically in the management of disability secondary to chronic pain and other medically unexplained syndromes since 1999 and currently serves as the Clinical Director for Prisma Health Canada – a private company that manages chronic claimants (5+ years on disability) referred by private disability insurers. From 2001 to 2010 Dr. Busse was the Director of the Complex Claims Division for ATF Canada, a private company that provided assessment and treatment for patients in receipt of long-term disability benefits.
Dr. Busse has published over 150 peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals with a focus on chronic pain, orthopedic trauma, insurance medicine and methodological research. In 2011 Dr. Busse co-formed the evidence-based insurance medicine research group, an international collaboration with members from McMaster University, the University Medical Center Groningen, and the Academy of Swiss Insurance Medicine. He is a Director of the Cochrane Insurance Medicine Field Group (http://insuremed.cochrane.org/our-team). Current research projects include:
- FORESITE– a prospective cohort to establish factors associated with persistent post-surgical pain following heart surgery
- Update and revision of the Canadian Guideline regarding opioids for chronic non-cancer pain
Teaching and Promotion of Evidence-Based Clinical Practice
Since 2011, Dr. Busse has been a tutor for the McMaster Evidence-Based Clinical Practice workshop, and an editor for the Newsletter of the International Society for Evidence-Based Health Care since 2009.
Awards and Honours
- 2015: McMaster University, HRM Mentoring/Supervision Award in the Full-Time/Joint Category
- 2010: Outstanding Thesis Award, McMaster University, Faculty of Health Sciences Graduate Programs
- 2009: New Investigator Award, Canadian Institute of Health Research
- 2003: PhD Training Fellowship, Canadian Institute of Health Research